Tuesday, November 04, 2008

You are Far

When I could have been your star. You listen to people... (now I've forgotten the lyrics)

Forgive me from time to time if I burst into song. My iTunes is on SHUFFLE MODE and out of nowhere, a long lost song plays out on the speakers. I do sing it like an uncontrollable reflex. You know those moments in your dreams where you're in a fight, then you wake up with your arms suddenly being flung out into the air?

No?

Well, if you do have those reflexes, these songs are kinda like those.
Not only in the uncontrollable aspect of it, but in the it-makes-me-look-like-a-crazy-person aspect of it.

So back to music and the bloggy things...

I want to like Jazz. When I am with my second cousins who are lightyears ahead in age and experience, they talk about Jazz. At times like these, I want to have something to say other than, “Oh yeah, Jazz. That’s some good stuff. Very jazzy and freeform with the whole sound. Yeah, how about that Jazz? You know the Utah Jazz is a basketball team... ”

But it all sounds the same to me. The other night when my Dad put on a Miles Davis CD (that I bought years ago under the assumption that you had to own at least one Miles Davis CD in case anyone looked at your music collection) I was reminded that I don’t care that much about Jazz. I just care that you think I care about Jazz because it seems like something cool people should care about and I want to be cool.

Because that's what life is about righty right?

So I own a Miles Davis CD and I know the name John Coltrane and I’ve even started using a Jazz analogy at soccer. Last week in a game I was talking to Marc and I described a move by saying, “That shit felt like jazz, it developed as we went along, very freeform. I’m used to more traditional strides with two verses and a chorus.” People kind of chuckled and hopefully thought, “Wow, that guy is such a huge fan of Jazz that he incorporates his love of it into project analogies.”

See how cool I am.
Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

If I’m being honest though...
If I’m only pretending to love Jazz, then...

...I’m only pretending to love
CS Lewis,
Musicals that aren't A.L.W.,
Vegetables,
Really Long PC games,
Certain types of Rap Music,
Smart girls (I mean c'mon man...),
Being Fat (because NOBODY BELIEVES IN THAT INSIDE BEAUTY),
The RollingStones,
Shaquille O'neal,
Green Jokes from non-friends


All these thing (now you know) fucking suck like hell man.
But aside from that... I'm pretty much good to hating and loving things out in the open
Remember when everyone in Grade six loved Tekken? I pretended to go with the crowd.

Yet I fucking hated the shit. People claimed themselves as gods when all they had were really fast fingers.

Let it out.

No comments:

Blog Archive