Did I mention that this team’s name is "Starbury"? Truth be told, this entire basketball team was literally built around one man’s desperate fulfillment to be Stephon "Starbury" Marbury. They didn't join to win the IAC—definitely not with this roster. They didn't even join to have fun, considering their two lead guards do nothing but bicker. Nope. They did this entirely for their team captain, who paid every single cent of the tournament fees just because he wanted to walk out in his full imaculate gear and be Stephon fucking Marbury at least once in his life.
Fuck it.
The Outcast Mutiny
But you know what? We joined. And against all odds, we started winning. We ended up winning 3 out of our last 5 games, entirely because me and the other late-invitees didn't give a fuck about who Starbury was or the official "Vision-Mission" of his franchise. We actually shared the ball, passed to the open man, made great shots, and watched as Starbury incrementally grew more pissed that he wasn't the least bit involved in the team he created. But hey, we were winning.
Karma caught up to me during today's game, though. I awkwardly landed on some dude’s foot and badly twisted my ankle, effectively ending my run with the team. I swear to God, I saw Starbury smile as I went down.
The 50/50 Survival Strategy
Honestly, the injury happened at the perfect time. Joseph Lim's Economics exam is next Thursday, and I need every single second afforded to me to study for this thing. Unlike other subjects, this class literally only has two tests for the entire year. No quizzes for a little grade boost. No extra-credit projects. Just two exams, each worth 50% of your final grade. That’s it.
The silver lining? There are 90 students cramped into a single classroom, meaning any of Ateneo’s attempts at social distancing maneuvers are completely futile. Now, it’s just a matter of strategically plotting how I can sit right beside the top scorer of the last exam. Do that, and I'm home free. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment