Monday, July 07, 2008

Immersion, the development of carpool and that nasty piece of gum.

I took a cab from EDSA to Cubao yesterday. A couple of years ago, the very thought would garner immense recognition from my peers in Southridge. "Oh my god, did you actually get into a cab?"
Now, we all commute, we all line up for something. We're not Daddy's little boy anymore.

I just came back from my immersion. It wasn't in hacienda "shit" at all. I got to go to this really nice orphanage with nice facilities. Bathrooms were kinda dirty from the playing in the soil, but I didn't mind (I could take a bath with slippers couldn't I?) Food was decent. My bed was cushioned.

It was pretty normal. It was NSTP normal.

Miss Bench said that the experience was not in the place (as we were all expecting to live three days in bug infested hell with nothing to eat but rice with salt), but in the relationships that we share with the kids. "Explore their lives" stuff. "Listen to their stories" stuff. "Talking to them will open us up to their lives" and all that mumbo jumbo that I'm too lazy to make bola.

Again, it was normal. It was "I expected more" normal. It was "I'm bored" normal.

Normal because that's what I did in NSTP and in JEEP. I talked to kids. Up to this day, their stories of gang wars still amaze me. But again, I was too far away to actually experience it. So forgive me for putting too much on it, but I thought this immersion would take me to their lives of gang wars and Rugby and finally turn me into the Pinoy version of Mahatma Ghandi with a better face and a better health. Instead, you had me and the other immersionists making tambay in the sari-sari store across the street.


Frankly my dear, I was disappointed.


I came home with my dad after lunch in Cubao. In a sea of green and blue, we were picking out which persons were tourist fans. (Tourist fans are those who feel that they're actually part of a school yet never really passed the entrance exam. For example, Miriam girls who wear the Ateneo colors and cheer as if they were indeed part of that school) We picked out a few. You can tell by their posture, their excitement and their faces whether they were real Ateneans.

Later that night was the carpool inuman. At first, i didn't feel like going cause I was pooped from the immersion and a free trip to the spa with Jayce seemed too good to pass out on. Anyways, it'd be the same guys again (namely Kylos, Perry, Anj, Fie, Pin, Laibes and possibly Manoy and Nikki), and this thing could happen again so easily. But I went because I love carpool and the fact that I asked Perry to burn me a DVD of Deadpool (one of the best Marvel characters in his own right) had no affect at all in my decision to go.

Good choice. A lot of newbies came and broke their ice.
I remember my first inuman was at Kyle's house. It wasn't as noisy either. I didn't get many of the inside jokes. I remember before going, I was texting Alfie on what the hell was gonna happen. At the end, I got to meet some really cool people, some of which, I'd be spending 10 times a week with in a cramped car.

...next inuman... may karaoke na. I call that my breakout into carpool.
Hopefully next time, some newbies would come and take the mic.

I must've stepped on it on the street or something, but on the way home I somehow got bubblegum on the underside of my sandal. Eeeww. It almost cost me my life.

I turned the corner, hoping to break, but my foot was stuck on the gas. The gum didn't let go and I almost hit the car in front of me, before intellect took over instinct and I used my left foot to break.

The experience of death changes a person.



I shall now be nicer to the less fortunate.
...when pigs fly

No comments:

Blog Archive