Thursday, March 02, 2006

Vindicated

Dashboard Confessional's "Vindicated" opens with a loud and vibrant intro, typical of today's emo punk bands.

However, in his first chance to sing, the music completely fades and Chris Carraba pours his thoughts out in the most calm and eloquent manner. It borders on speaking instead of singing. "Hope. Dangles. On. A. String." It's as if Chris transforms into a scientist, watching from afar, dissecting and analyzing his pent up emotions, with no bias or attachment. There's a smooth timber crisp to his voice and the words flow rigidly in the air. The song is controlled. Yet an undercurrent, which stemmed from the loud intro sequence, is building up from below. You feel the beat pulsating despite Chris' calm disposition.

Then out of nowhere, in an almost prepubescent teenage boy fashion, Chris shrieks "Vindicated! I am Selfish. I am Wrong!!"

And there he let's go. Like we all do from time to time. Like I hope to do with this blog. 

I hope this blog acts as sort of my vindication, allowing me to literarily shout out what's raw, to cuss my fucking brains out and say stuff like "I am right! I swear I'm right! I swear I knew it all along", but as with Chris, know that I am flawed.

The song goes back and forth between the calm, dissecting Chris and the emo-fuck screaming out his infidelities.

Yet, it ends beautifully with Chris exhausted from these two personalities battling. He ends the song, tired and with a whimper, saying what he came in with. "Hope.... Dangles... on... a... string. Like slow spinning redemption".

It ends with the word "redemption", which I find cool.

Maybe at the end of this blog, I'll be tired of this emo-ness. I'll come out calm, exhausted, but a better person. I hope to have my redemption. Which is why this blog is called "Vindicated".

Actually, fuck it. Let's call it Nzoomanity for my sake. And to deprive Jay the satisfaction of knowing that he introduced me to Dashboard. Batista Bomb, bitches!

Blog Archive