Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lost in Translation (and Positivity)

I’ve noticed a strange phenomenon lately: whenever I write for German class, I sound far more positive than I ever would in English. It’s not because I’m trying to sound happier or less sarcastic—it’s just infinitely easier.

Take one of our first assignments, where we had to write 300 words about our hometown. Armed with my very limited vocabulary, I was shoehorned into describing a charming little town filled with conservative, happy citizens who smile and wave, quaint old houses adorned with pretty flowers, and lush forests where the leaves change color in the fall. In truth, painting that picture-perfect postcard was just much easier than trying to translate the actual downsides of living in a small southern town—like the endless gossip, the two-faced people, the absolute lack of things to do, and the fact that our only cheap hangout spot is a Korean-run burger joint.

Now, we’re learning about the German version of prom, and the lesson asks what Filipino proms are like. Honestly, it’s hard to find anything positive to say. The tacky dresses, the crushing awkwardness, the utterly lame music. I suppose the best way to sum up the experience in German would be: “Man könnte mich nicht dafür bezahlen, noch einmal dorthin zu gehen.” (You couldn't pay me to go back.)

Or, you know, something like that.

No comments: