Monday, December 17, 2007

Show me how to Live

I need a rage song right now. Let's see the nominees.

Puddle of Mudd’s “She Hates Me” is a classic, retaliatory fuck you. It’s exactly what you want to scream after your feelings get completely shredded. I love almost everything about it, but I hate that it’s not direct. Wes Scantlin looks like a motherfucking man’s man, yet here he is, venting to his buddies at a bar. Who does that? He’s hiding out instead of marching up to her place, kicking the door down, and screaming, "You fucking hate me! Trust, you fucking hate me!" That’s what he should’ve done. Minus points, Wes. You can do better.

That leaves Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name” and Audioslave’s “Show Me How to Live.” Both are incredibly direct. And honestly, nothing hits closer to home right now than "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me." It really is the more apt track for the situation. It should have won. But I have to give the crown to Chris fucking Cornell here, purely because he’s Chris fucking Cornell.

Audioslave's frontman is the literal Greek god of rock. He is my drug. He has the looks, the presence, and the pipes. If you engineered the ultimate rock vocalist in a lab, you’d get Chris Cornell.

So yeah, "Show Me How to Live" takes the win and will be in my iPod as I navigate groupwork with Abedee today.

No comments: