Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tagged on facebook

I wonder. As we wonderfully indulge in the benefits of the social network sphere, some drawbacks are surprisingly apparent. Of course there's the much publicized self-esteem issue, where you are now exposed to the unattainable success of your equals.

However, more than that, there's the polarization in effect. Alone in a crowd, with nothing but your own beliefs, you are forced to listen. Group think is at play. If I believe in Idea A, but everyone else has Idea B, I have no choice but at least entertain the possibility that I am wrong. I engage in dialogue with Idea B fanatics and open myself to new opinions.

But Facebook fucked that all. I am now a friend request away from another Idea A. Rather than entertain new ideas, I find pleasure in my brothers of Idea A.

Now fuck all them Idea B's. I have the numbers. 


How sad.

No comments: