Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hysteric

My introduction to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs came via their 2006 hit, "Gold Lion", through Nikki's carpool mixtape. In all honesty, it sounded like something people play in a rally against the infrastructure. Back then, absolutely nobody else knew the lyrics, but we followed along to the chorus. It's easy, since you just have to imagine the sound of Karen O giving "Oooh Ooh"s like she was making love on top of a camel. From that moment on, whenever I think of a rebellious feminist, I think of Karen O and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

So, "Hysteric", their recent release was somewhat unexpected.

Karen O had shed her usual angry lesbian battle cry to create this wonderful homage to the carefree nature of love and purpose. Her voice is heavy, yet soft. You feel the slow excitement she has for the unknown that she's experiencing.

In the line "The cinders. The cinders. Light the path. To these strange steps", she challenges the common lyric of love and purpose being obvious. In most love songs, we are often struck by the notion of "the one". I know I was. Expecting that the one would have a great big giant spotlight in her direction. In this case, all you have are cinders to light the path.

I relate with this now because of the shifting nature of my life. There is no spotlight that will guide me to the next step. I am often scared and confused. I admire Karen O's lackadaisical approach to the unknowns. Whether its Masters, or a job or a business that I start on my own, I just gotta enjoy the process.

So in the words of the great lesbian poet Karen O, "Flow sweetly. Hang heavy".


Let's do this.

No comments: